Hello again, and here we are in January of the new year, hoping for cool and interesting new shows! Winter 14/15 is sort of interesting because, for a change everything is pretty easily sorted into stuff which looks interesting (or has the potential to be interesting) and those which are fucking abysmal. Practically everything which isn’t original falls into super generic ecchi superpower fighting against monsters shows, so at least I don’t have to wrack my brain too much being on the fence. I intend to follow everything that isnt in the crap tier, at least until it starts to get boring, but for now, there are a fair amount of interesting shows.
Shows are listed best first.
Watch These Tier:
(9) That show with rainbow explosions – Pretty insane and over the top superhero stuff, the story is pretty nonsensical for now but my god is it colourful and fun to watch. Quirky characters, crazy animation style, and a happy soundtrack make this a near essential watch for this season, if only for it’s complete disregard for colour palettes.
(8) The show that isn’t sure how lewd it wants to be – Maria the witch trying to save bitches, but archangels don’t really like that shit. Maria also has some familiars to add some extra characters. The animation and art is good, and the characters are very likable, though 2 episodes in and i’m not entirely sure which direction the story is going to head.
(8) The shaft slice of life about eating food – Did you like Hidamari Sketch? Because this is Hidamari Sketch but instead of going to art school, they cook and eat food in perverse detail.
(8) The one where you gamble with your life – Death parade has a pretty interesting premise; the deceased go to gamble with their lives on the line in a bar, and those who operate the game get to decide if the gambler goes to heaven or hell. It’s kind of dark, but it looks like it has it’s fair share of twists and turns.
Spare Time Tier:
(7) The Slice of life comedy about making a dating sim – Bit of a mixed opinion on this one, the first episode was pretty funny, but the second episode seemed to try harder to push the plot, and as a result it was a little more boring. The characters seem alright though (and by that i mean, it has a twintail girl with fangs), and the art is clean, i’m hoping it’ll push towards the comedy side rather than just be another SOL drama thing, because honestly we have enough of those.
(7) Murder the alien – So, the teacher destroyed the moon, and now wants to destroy earth, but first he wants to teach a year of high school. The students are tasked with trying to assassinate him, but given that he moves at near speed of light and has tentacle arms, it’s not so easy. While the first two episodes have been entertaining, i’m not sure where they can go with this one, unless they can change it up or introduce some sub plots, a whole season of watching them try to fruitlessly kill this alien will get boring.
(7) Goddamn boat girls – So Kancolle is pretty massive in japan, the mobile game about humanized warships, so naturally they had to release an anime about these warship schoolgirls doing… warship schoolgirl things. So pretty much the usual shit, but instead of art class they go to a shooting range and fire their cannons (as you do.)
(6) Bearly sensical? – Made by the same director as Penguindrum, so you know you are in for some weird shit. From what i’ve gathered, it’s about two bears that can shapeshift into human form, and their attempts to eat schoolgirls… Which actually sounds alright, but then every now and then they go to some sort of bear court, and then every now and then people fall down staircases which are probably metaphorical but I dont even know. It’s fucking weird.
(6) The one that’s not actually about Yatterman – I don’t actually know a massive amount about Yatterman, I played Tatsunoko vs Capcom, and saw the live action Yatterman film, but that’s about as far as my knowledge goes. Yatterman Night, from the two episodes i’ve seen at least, appears to be an origin story of Doronjo and her cronies – how much of it is canon however, I have no idea, this could actually be some sort of alternate reality thing for all I know. Regardless though, it’s essentially the tale of a good girl, trying to be a bad guy, and is kind of a refreshing take on one of these sort of shows. If you imagine a show based around Jessie and James of Team Rocket, you’re probably most of the way there.
(6) This season’s girl idol group show – For fans of Genre or series. It’s pretty standard im@s affair, and if you don’t know what that even means, this show probably isn’t for you.
Please No Tier:
Shinmai Maou no Testament
(3) Generic ‘I have super powers and now suddenly two demon girls are now living with me’ show.
Soukyuu no Fafner Dead Aggressor – Exodus
(3) The only thing I want an exodus of is the people that keep greenlighting this shit. Another Humans VS Aliens shows, with some mecha thrown in later probably. It gets a higher rating because it’s very pretty while it bores you to death with its mediocrity.
(2) Superpower high school and MC pairs with shy girl who is attached to him for no explicit reason. Sigh.
Juuou Mujin no Fafnir
(1) Fafnir? More like, Fackoff. This is another generic ‘I go to superpower school and we must protect the world from aliens, also I have to live with a grrrll?’ show.
Seiken tsukai no World Break
(1) Superpower high school again, holy shit. This one is the worst of the lot, generic as they come. Right down to the “oh, my power is actually super strong but I had no idea?!”. Also manages to already look like it’s out of animation budget, even though it was only the first goddamn episode.
All probably worth watching if you saw the previous season(s) I think theres also Milky Holmes, Kuroko no Basket and Dog Days sequels as well if you’re into those.
Jojo’s Stardust Crusaders
Tokyo Ghoul A