Seems like a pretty averagely bad season, in the interest of my sanity I am switching to now only watching the very first episode to judge the show’s overall quality. The last few seasons have made it pretty evident that you can’t judge a book by it’s cover anyway (see, Prison school, which turned out to arguably be the best show of last season), so I can’t imagine going from 2 episodes to 1 is going to make a significant difference.
‘Heads up’ Tier
– 10 – Story of a dude that wanted to be a hero so bad, that he trained to the point where everything he fights now practically explodes in one punch. It’s pure action, and it’s amazing.
– 10 – Short show about the happiest dog in the whole goddamn world. You need to be in a certain mindset to watch it, but imo it seems like an almost guaranteed bad day fixer.
– 9 – For Fist of the North Star fans only, it’s a full length gag show featuring the cast of FOTNS but as High school students, Ken is to bring laughter to century end high school.
– 8 – Semi generic fantasy show where all the humans are half animal, has catgirls so automatically above average, not too much has happened yet though so genre is up in the air for now, however apparently it’s based on an eroge so it might go harem route.
– 8 – Comedy based on the idea of bringing in a commoner to a school of sheltered ojou types. It’s going to end up as a harem for sure, but it’s entertaining so far at least.
– 8 – comedy spinoff of Attack on Titan, pretty entertaining alternate universe take on the whole ordeal, where titans steal your lunch box.
‘Heads down, Thumbs up?’ Tier
– 7 – high school magical knight show w/ pink hair girl. Literally all the cliches, the only thing that would make it more generic is if it was a harem – there is still time.
– 7 – presumedly origin story of ‘Black Jack’, a master surgeon.
– 7 – Witch girl getting up to weird world saving stuff. not really sure what to think of it so far, there are robots, superheroes and all sorts of other oddities. The art style is nice and colourful though.
– 7 – Modern revival of a showa era show, first episode was really good, but the animation style looks to be changing next episode so not sure how it will go.
– 6 – Reminds me of a shitty laputa, Involves gemstone, sudden girlfriend appearance, and some mechs. The animation and world is pretty interesting looking though.
‘…and stay down.’ Tier
Sakurako-san no ashimoto ni wa shitai ga umatteiru – 6 – Forensics detective and her very unlikable high school teenage sidekick, bit on the boring side but might have potential.
peeping life – 6 – Literally feels like watching anime standup comedy with 2 characters from a show appearing and doing a gag routine, all of the set ups are based on characters from very old anime series (70’s-80s) so presumedly you’ll get more out of this if you are older or have knowledge on these sort of shows (eg. Astro boy, yatterman, black jack)
Gakusen toshi asterisk – 6 – oh hey it’s the same show as ‘Rakudai kishi no cavalry’, but slightly more generic and less entertaining And I mean that pretty literally, the overall flow and layout of the episode was practically identical, except this one was more boring.
Lance n masques – 6 – Pretty similar in principle to Hayate the combat butler, generic princess character who lives alone being guarded by generic beta main character who carries around a big ol’ lance.
Taimadou Gakuen 35 shiken shoutai – 6 – Military platoon drama, but in true anime style they send magical high school students to fight instead of actual soldiers.
Heavy Object – 5 – mecha style show but replacing cool mechas with generic grey metal orbs of death. Includes pervy teenage main character and a shy girl with few emotions as a pilot, seems very mediocre so far.
Subete ga F ni naru – 4 – Gonna be honest, wasn’t really following what was happening because it was kind of boring. Some sort of detective story I think. It’s very wordy and not very flashy so far.
K return of kings – 3 – 2flashy4me, it feels like someone told the animators that people only judge the first episode of a show, and these guys put their entire budget into a nonsensical episode just full of flashy fight scenes, spinning cameras, glowing neon lights, chrome plated cars and so on, in the hope that redditors would repost the show and persude people into watching it. Granted it is by far one of the best looking shows ive ever seen, but the plot and everything else about the show just looks terrible.
High school star musical – 2 – like ‘Free!’ except with singing and dancing, it’s gaytastic in every sense. I found it pretty cringey and generally unenjoyable, but then I’m a straight male so..
diabolik lovers – 2 – Reverse harem featuring vampires, probably the worst show this season unless you rather enjoy your twilight fanfics.
Yuru Yuri San hai